The National Museum of Modern Art, Tokyo was opened as the first National Museum of Modern Arts in Japan by the design of Kunio Maekawa in Kyobashi, Tokyo in December of 1952. The museum then obtained adjoining land two times and extended the facility. In July of 1969, the museum was newly opened by design of Yoshiro in Kitanomaru Park. Afterwards, a large-scale extension and rebuilding construction was held under the design of SAKAKURA ASSOCIATES for the building superannuated and the reasons of collection expansion for two and a half years from July of 1999, and newly opened in January, 2002. It aimed at strengthening earthquake resistance and enhancing the usability by expanding the exhibition space, enhancing the library service, newly establishing a rest space, a restaurant, a museum shop etc. (Photo right top) The National Museum of Modern Art, Tokyo, photo by Norihiro UENO The collection exhibition ｓｅｌｅｃｔs 180 - 220 of painting, sculpture, watercolor, rough sketch, print, and photograph works from the approximately 9,800 collection, for a general view of the flow of a modern art of Japan from the 20th beginning of the century to the present age. The substantial ｓｅｌｅｃｔion is worthy to visit repeatedly. The museum also holds enthusiastic special exhibitions on the modern and contemporary art during year. As the related facilities, there are the film center (main building of Kyobashi and Sagamihara branch) that is only the national movie facility, and the craft pavilion which building was repaired from the former Imperial Guard Command public office building.